Saturday, June 28, 2014

purging paper

All my years of writing had accumulated into a pile of notepads.  Any ideas that came to me were scribbled down.  I had to harvest the pearls of wisdom from the perils of their pages.  I could find out what my former self was thinking.  I imagined her with a creative mind.

I've since heard that the mind is cyclical (has a tendency to think itself in circles).  I had my proof.  Mostly illegible, the memos contained bizarre calculations, shopping lists, and revealed obsession with shopping and taking control of my environment.

There were to-do lists.

-get tires switched
-practice finger waves
-Summerville thrift store
-find out the truth about raisins
-become the town eccentric
-get advice from mum about basting interfacing

There were lists that required lots of money.

-fly first class
-ride a limousine
-wear diamond studs
-visit vegas with the girls at work
-hire a trustworthy cleaner

There were lists that were cheaper.

-meditate
-go to the library
-build a sandcastle
-finish my sewing projects (pincushion, cape, curtains, and a dress)
-become half as clever as my mum
-practice music daily or at least once in a while
-cut garbage down to one bag a week
-grow lavender

There were some lists that fell in between.

-visit Portland
-taste wine in Oregon
-see the giant Redwoods
-get rid of entire back lawn to grow food
-join the urban agriculture association
-raise chickens

With our new cleaner lifestyle and throwing away fifty things we no longer have room for old notepads full of lists.  We can't have repeated words cluttering our cupboards or creating cobwebs in our minds.  Urban homesteading is a lot of work, which is why we need to pare down our stuff, which will create space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment