Tuesday, August 12, 2014

how will we shut this place down

Needless to say, we are no longer planting, we are only watering and harvesting.  There is also some weeding, mowing, and chipping involved but I like to think of those activities in terms of giving the yard a haircut.  I want things to look extra tidy when we leave.   I know we will have left things better than we found them but will the next renter know it?

Will the next tenant see the rich soil, that rises like a cake?  Will they notice the fifteen hundred Red Wigglers that Kitson purchased have multiplied in the worm farm before they were set free?  Will the new gardeners see them wiggling in the compost, see the bees everywhere? (There wasn't much point in keeping a worm farm when the entire yard was full of worms.)

They might think they need to fumigate.  I'm only just getting used to the insectuary myself.  What is easier to get used to is the produce.


I'm munching on a roasted potato that came out of the ground less than an hour ago.  I was impressed by the size this year, and the soil all around it was fluffy and moist.  Our whole meal came out of the garden, save the bocconcini.


I hope another urban homesteading enthusiast can pick up where we left off.  I promise there will be lots of food if you just add water.

No comments:

Post a Comment